Day 11, Jan 17, 2017

School was out on Monday and we can not get into the school so today is our first meeting since Saturday.

  1. Programming team is working on PID for the shooter as well as integrating the NavX
    1. The goal is to be able to know the position and orientation of the robot as well as potentially helping autolock the turret.
    2. The PID is needed to ensure shot consistency and to be able to ramp the shooter to the right speed faster after each ball increasing our bps (balls per second)
  2. Drivetrain prototype has not changed but was actually driven on carpet today
    1. It seemed to handle well considering all of the weight was on the back where the omni wheels are (see vex aluminum brackets where the battery was)
    2. It fishtailed a little but still kept its “poise” and was controllable and easy to maneuver the front (where the gear will be ideally)
  3. Drivetrain V1 is now beginning to be built which will be in the correct dimensions
    1. The 2x1s have been cut from some left over materials to the right length of our semi-final drive train
    2. Bearing holes are being made for the wheels so we can attach the versablocks.
  4. The Shooter prototype has had several changes
    1. The integrated encoder was added to the gearbox for the 775pro so that we can monitor the speed of the shooter in addition to implementing PID control.
    2. The back plate of the shooter prototype was flimsy and was changed to 1/4 lexan which solved the compression issue.
      1. We are now shooting further and are more consistent with our shots
    3. Now we just need to curve the top of the shooter so that we can aim the ball.
      1. Currently it goes straight up
    4. We will prototype a simple hood mechanism that we can manually move to see how the hood angle affects the distance of the shot as well as the height
  5. The hanging prototype was tested
    1. The 450 to 1 ratio is obviously slow and able to lift 150lb
    2. The wood on the bottom gave out so we are going to reattach it and try again tomorrow
      1. We will first run with the 450 to one to prove to ourselves that it works
      2. Then we will change that to a 75 or 100 to one and see if that will still do the job (as it will be much faster
    3. We are also thinking about powering the hanger from the drive train as a possibility
      1. We have a space in our custom gearbox in between the 2 stages to put a sprocket that we can broach to 3/8 hex and use the power of the drive for an extremely fast climb
  6. The passive gear prototype was improved
    1. Legs of the correct length were added to the bottom to make sure that a ball could fit under it and that the gear hole would be at ~13inches
    2. Sides are being attached to make the funnel from almost the full 2ft height
  7. The CAD team worked on the V1 drivetrain gearboxes and the intake
    1. The custom gearboxes were put on the V1 drivetrain and just need to be mated in the right places
    2. The intake was started and will be done in the next couple of days. The most important aspects are:
      1. Making sure it takes a ball from the floor
      2. Spits it out into the hopper not to the other side.
      3. This will be designed in CAD and tested on the V1 of the intake.
  8. 2 of the field elements were finished
    1. The Loading station was finished today and the inside is Lexan to simulate the gear sliding
    2. The angles were fixed so it is now the correct slope and height
    3. The Lift was finished as well but we decided to make it less like the team drawings
    4. We decided to make it lift-able so that we can practice getting the gear out of the robot with completely passive mechanism and see if it works.
Posted in FRC Blog.